08 September 2010

Burning the Quran is Wrong (But For Other Reasons Than You've Been Told)

I can't think of anything that makes me more angry (the kind of deep-seated, moral anger) than churches who do the wrong thing and do it on a pedestal for all to see.  You can be sure that the secular media will take every advantage to help make idiots who profess faith to look even more idiotic than they actually are.

The first example is the (so-called) church in Kansas (which I refuse to name or link) that protests at the funerals of soldiers, sailors, and marines killed in action.  But that's a whole other blog post...I'll stay focused here on the current controversy.  (And thank God for the Patriot Guard Riders!)

The church in Florida (again, I'll leave it unnamed and unlinked) that plans to have a 'Burn the Quran Day' on September 11 is making a big mistake.  Others have gone on-and-on about how it is un-American or intolerant or some violation of some sense of decency (and they are mostly right about that).  The problem I have is a bit different.  I haven't heard it put my way on the national media, but that doesn't surprise me...the national media isn't really worried about the gospel, after all.

That's the key: the gospel.  The church in Florida should be focused on their mission to glorify God through worship and the proclamation of the gospel.  Instead, they are bogged down in some type of moralism, expressed through political posturing or protest.  If they were concerned with ever having any kind of credibility with Muslims who might be in their community, they would obviously not engage in such provocative behavior.  I understand that Muslims often don't respect the Bible, and treat it with contempt.  But to respond likewise with the Quran is just the opposite of what the gospel demands.  The action will have no constructive effect.  No Muslim anywhere will look at this and say, "Gee, maybe we are being too hard on those other religions...we should lighten up."  More importantly, no Muslim will say, "I'm curious about this Jesus fellow...I think I'll find some people of the book and inquire about him further."

The bottom line is this- no person of islamic faith or tendency will ever be reached with the gospel by provocation.  The media attention makes it even worse; the barriers to the gospel won't be felt in Florida alone, but in various places all over the world.  That does not bring glory to God.

And that's why 'Burn a Quran Day' is wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to see you enabled comments!

    I agree with your post. Even sadder is the fact that the "holier than thou" attitude might end up making martyrs of the unrighteous. Hmm...maybe not martyrs, perhaps just dead self-righteous nominal Christians.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments, and will read them, but they are moderated.

Reftagger